Sunday 13 May 2012

I'll be back!

Those who know me know I am not very good at giving an opinion, at least not at the right time! So here I sit to write my first ever blog thing giving an opinion. The Canteen on Clifton Street? Loved it. What, you want more than that? Walking into the Canteen it was nice to find it was warm and smelt good! A reservation had been made by email, which was just as well as almost every table was full and not long after we sat down the rest quickly filled up. The decor was tongue and groove on the wall and tiles on the floor, Er....bit like a canteen! On the walls were original art work and photos which were good to look at! Even if not all to one's taste. We were shown to our table and very soon we had made our choices of what to eat. The menu was not overly extensive, which generally means freshly cooked rather than boil in the bag. Due to the fact that we wanted to try all that the menu offered we made sure at least one of everything was ordered. All the starters arrived and they were beautifully presented and looked appetising and we all had 'dipsies' into each of the different ones. (I will put photos up in another post as I am not sure how to do it right now!) The roasted tofu and sushi balls looked the best! I had the crespelle and I think I must have had all the seasoning the others found lacking because it tasted good to me. The main courses were also presented well, I know my blogger family found the salads blobbed down, but I loved the colours of the salads and even the green of the Thai curry and yellow of the rice cake together, this was my choice. The tumblet also looked good, although I understand the eater was less than impressed with her meal. The only one that had absolutely no presentation about it was the Thai chicken curry. Even the rice on that meal looked as if it wanted to be something or be somewhere else!! Dessert also looked pretty. Even the pastry covered banana was presented well, and tasted good. The combination of the lime cheesecake, ginger sorbet and coconut decoration (reminiscent of Nana's coconut pyramids) worked really well together, but the surprise for me was how lush the sticky toffee pudding was, although it was rich enough that even I would have had to share it! All in all the whole meal experience was enjoyable. It appealed to all my senses - the place was clean and welcoming, no sticky residue to touch the table, food looked good, smelt good, tasted good, and conversation flowed and was good on mine ears! I will go back. (Sorry, I thought I would have more trouble thinking what to write!)

No comments:

Post a Comment